40+ spring and summer outfits to try today – my cute outfits – # to # today # summer # try
Washington DC style is conservatively trendy. I grew up in Washington and the indigenous style is essentially North East trad / prep chic. Hardly any girlfriends of mine even knew how to make makeup in high school. The style was very light, windy natural Americana. DC's general culture is strongly influenced by the city's professional character, many employed in steady jobs such as attorneys, federal office workers, and other supportive industries that require tightening into workplace fashion.
Still, DC-yuppie, because of her age, still longs to express herself fashionably. However, given her lifestyle, she can't go completely like her friends in New York or LA. There is little international influence due to the high population of diplomats, consulates and other foreign workers. And surely, perhaps more in step with trends, would be the urban style of some DC natives. Practically Washingtonians adhere to the classics because it is acceptable career gear and for busy people Ralph Lauren and J. Crew can be a mindless chic uniform! Those who have struck the perfect balance have clothes that are good for work but also trendy enough for happy hour or dinner after.
- When choosing a suit, pay attention to the blazer. If you find a blazer that is not too boxy and is obviously intended for professional use, you can use the same blazer as a cool accessory for men's clothing.
- Patterned tights can help add an ultra chic look to all ready-made work suits. Polka dots, pointelle or vintage style hose work well.
- Fashion staples should contain a very luxurious item such as a luxury watch from the heirloom, grandmother's diamond earrings or a Prada bag. Extra points for successful luxury goods as this speaks to the old rich WASP culture in DC! This haute couture staple is more than enough for conservative Washington to be considered very fashionable!
- Current trends are a fun thing to talk about in Washington. I cannot emphasize the love of trad style here. When I go home, when I live in Los Angeles now, it's as if nothing has changed. The only trend here if you want to look like a local is office shirts and pearls.
What to wear
- Casual costume for site visit: Chambray shirt with sleeves rolled up, chino shorts, bright boat shoes, beautiful printed tote.
- Dressier Outfit for a nice lunch : Do not forget a good quality leather bag that is large enough to hold your smart phone, a bottle of water, subway cards and book for the train.
- Nightlife for nightlife : A little black dress is all you need in a city where not many dresses to impress.
May starts the season with cherry blossoms with an average height of 74 degrees F (24 degrees C) and a low of 50 degrees F (10 degrees C). This type of weather requires light layers to protect against the chilly early morning and evening - make sure you bring a jacket. And an umbrella and wellies! May has the most rainfall with an average of 12 days.
June to August see warmer days with slightly less chance of rain (monthly average 10 days), an average high of 85 degrees F (29 degrees C) and 62 degrees (16 degrees C). It's warmer on the east coast, AND it's hurricane season, so make sure you look at the weather forecasts, wear sunscreen and wear light clothing during the day, and a light cardigan or thin cotton wrap at night.
- South Moon Under | According to their website, "... South Moon Under offers a unique blend of fashion while remaining true to its laid-back and independent mindset instilled in the founding store over forty years ago."
- Tari | Georgetown | "This elegant boutique offers something for everyone. While women are looking for one piece for themselves or a rare gift for someone special, the men who come with them discover this gem on their own and are happy to finally find an exclusive consignment shop where they can shop AND ship! ... TARI offers dresses, cocktail dresses, parties, professionals, weekend and men's clothes. Many accessories, bags, shoes, jewelry ... All with a special touch of yours in mind! "
- Rugby Ralph Lauren | Georgetown | "Rugby was started in 2004 and translates Ralph Lauren's legacy of genuine prep into an eclectic, irreverent collection for young men and women. Cool and rebellious classics from vintage varsity and heritage are reinvented with a chic central style and playful, sexy vibe for an individualistic attitude to personal style.
- Tysons Corner Center | McLean, VA | "With Bloomingdale's, Nordstrom, Lord & Taylor and Macy's, and an impressive 300+ specialty stores and restaurants, Tysons Corner Center is one thing that all Washington, DC can agree on."